In all my years of living, I have always hated Brussels Sprouts.
I hated the smell, the taste and the texture…
Except, it turns out, when baked in cream and smothered in cheese!
As mentioned in my previous Blog post, I’ve recently join the keto community. I thought I would suffer greatly because hello who can live on zero carbs?? Me, evidently.
What I didn’t anticipate my main issue being, is finding exciting new ways to eat the same vegetables or starting to love ones I normally scoff at.
Enter Brussels Sprouts.
- 600g Pork Belly Slices, diced into cubes (can also use Chicken Breast)
- 1 medium Onion, sliced
- 450g Brussels Sprouts
- 300ml Single Cream
- 50g grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp of Coconut Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 seasoning cubes (maggi/knorr)
- 2 tsp Crushed Chillies
Prep time – 20 mins
- To prepare the Brussels Sprouts, cut off the stems of each sprout and discard any coarse outer leaves. Then cut each sprout into half.
- Rinse in a bowl with warm water.
- Add half of the seasonings to the bowl and mix well, ensuring all the sprouts are covered.
- To prepare the meat, rinse in a bowl of warm water and a splash of vinegar.
- Add the remaining seasonings and ensure all the meat is covered.
- Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Put the coconut oil in a pan on medium heat until it is hot enough and ready to fry.
- Add the seasoned meat to the pan and stir periodically until halfway cooked, then add the onion and keep stirring until the meat is golden brown on each side.
- Add the Brussels Sprouts to the pan and stir into the mix. Cover with a lid and leave to steam on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- Take the mixture off the cooker and pour into a casserole dish.
- Pour the cream into the dish, covering all the sprouts.
- Add the grated cheese.
- Put in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Extra tip: Serve with freshly chopped parsley for an extra delicious kick!